Nurture your child’s imagination and fascination with performing! ActinGarten's "My Acting World" allows students both to perform as familiar characters and create their own characters and stories through improvisational activities. Beginning with basic theatre concepts such as character development, simple line
memorization and story cues, students will also practice more advanced topics such as diction, projection, stage directions, and improvisation. Children will also practice theatre etiquette and basic theatre appreciation through deeper discussions about how performances affect the audience and how to behave as an audience member.
ActinGarten's "My Acting World" will delve deeper into the separation of "performance space" and "audience space" as students gain experience as both actors/cast mates and audience members. While we will continually develop skills of self confidence and storytelling through performance activities, we will also begin to encourage students' critical response skills by asking them to describe how they feel after watching a story take place. Because dramatic performances are designed to incite an emotional response in the audience, it is of paramount importance that students learn to appreciate theatre as an art through a deeper understanding of characters and stories. After honing these skills of critical thinking and comprehension as an audience member, students will become even more in tune with their ability to build character and tell a story as a performer.
- Further language development to aid in ability to respond to classroom performances
- Expansion on views of the world around us
- Deeper exploration of emotions
- More complex interaction with peers as “cast mates” in classroom performances
- Improved focus and memorization
- Body awareness and self confidence
- First steps toward improvisation by thinking about what a character would say or do
- Enhancement of self-discipline and social skills
- Deeper understanding of “watching space” and “performing space,” through the ability to watch classmates perform
- Create a classroom space dedicated to theatre appreciation and theatre etiquette